One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The occupation or industry of building boats.
- ‘If developers have their way boatbuilding will go forever.’
- ‘In 1772, he abandoned boatbuilding and left for London where, recommended by his teacher's friend Giardini, he joined the orchestra of the King's Theatre.’
- ‘In Waitakere we celebrate job growth in boatbuilding, vineyards, film making, and our traditional industries.’
- ‘For example, as so many women worked in jobs such as boatbuilding where promotion and flexibility were allowed in time of war, the artificiality of the horizontal segregation is demonstrated.’
- ‘Jim died in 1968 and Bill retired, bringing to the end an era of boatbuilding which had lasted well over one hundred years.’
- ‘As it turned out, however, the Coopers' passion for boats didn't translate into the nuts-and-bolts skills needed to keep their boatbuilding business afloat.’
- ‘At Hyde Street Pier, tour ships, enjoy music and craft programs, or try your hand at boatbuilding or knot tying.’
- ‘The boatbuilding industry has been affected but not wiped out.’
- ‘The author wishes to thank Jim Packham and Bob Westleyfor providing the information about boatbuilding in Kingston.’
- ‘He added he was delighted to bring boatbuilding back to The Point, which has not seen any since Prout Catamarans closed in January last year.’
- ‘Current boatbuilding methods are highly labor-intensive, so weight and size variations among hulls are fairly common, sometimes leading to quality control problems that consumers find unacceptable.’
- ‘Its main occupations are fishing and boatbuilding.’
- ‘Blackistone says that the founders of many boatbuilding companies are reaching retirement age.’
- ‘Ever since the Prout Factory closed last year there has been no boatbuilding on Canvey which is a real shame as there are a lot of experienced labourers living there.’
- ‘As a high-school student, Mr. Senour worked in local boatyards in the summer, where he picked up techniques of boatbuilding and repair.’
- ‘The method of construction of the 450 Coastal Commander is still best described as a combination of boatbuilding and mobile home technology.’
- ‘Between 12 and 14 apprentices are guided by an instructor through all stages of traditional wooden boatbuilding and they can expect to build three to four boats during their tenure.’
- ‘The participants hail from half a dozen states and they are in San Francisco for a week long boatbuilding class.’
- ‘Not everyone in boatbuilding is an angel, after all!’
- ‘The Council is a not-for-profit organization that has developed and updated safety standards for boatbuilding and repair for 50 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.