One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small Central and South American heron with a broad flattened bill and a prominent black crest.
- ‘Entire avian families, including cotingas, manakins, toucans, and ground antbirds, are essentially confined to the Neotropics, as are such unique species as screamers, trumpeters, sunbittern, hoatzin, and boat-billed heron.’
- ‘The boatbill is a nocturnal animal and a shallow-water feeder.’
- ‘In the ponds we may encounter the Green Ibis, Snowy Egrets, Boatbill heron, the Purple Gallinule and the Wattled Jacana and many others.’
- ‘The Hacienda La Pacifica resort complex, adjacent to these preserves, is popular with birders for the natural habitat along the river right on its grounds, where boat-billed herons come to roost.’
- ‘Our guide was especially knowledgeable about the bird life and was able to show us three boat-billed herons - magnificent tropical birds with broad bills.’
2A flycatcher that has a very broad flattened bill with a hooked tip, found mainly in New Guinea.Also called flatbill flycatcher
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.