Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place in which dogs are kept and looked after, especially while their owners are on holiday.
- ‘If you have pets, it is possible that boarding kennel fees are covered during the time it takes to repair your home.’
- ‘I rang round all the vets in Lancashire, the local boarding kennels and the dog wardens.’
- ‘The remainder were transferred to boarding kennels in County Carlow where it is expected most will thrive.’
- ‘Another tenant on the estate has recently acquired a permit to train racehorses on the farm, while another has abandoned a pig enterprise and developed high-quality canine boarding kennels.’
- ‘Dozens of families queued for hours at the rescue centre at the Jerusalem boarding kennels just outside Carlow town for a chance to take home one of the many breeds rescued from a puppy farm in Wexford on February 25.’
- ‘If it is impossible to take your pet with you to temporary shelter, contact friends, family, veterinarians, or boarding kennels to arrange for care.’
- ‘We've got a new business pack from the bank and will still be looking into our dream of running our own boarding kennels but for the time being, we think we would need a lottery win to get that one off the ground at the moment.’
- ‘To prevent permanent separation, identify a boarding kennel or shelter in your immediate area that provides emergency care or foster care for pets.’
- ‘But he urged pet owners to continue to walk healthy dogs, visit dog runs, use boarding kennels and otherwise let animals congregate.’
- ‘Dozens of families travelled hundreds of miles and queued for several hours at the rescue centre, Jerusalem boarding kennels, on the outskirts of Carlow town at the weekend.’
- ‘Not enough, having then sidestepped her best attempts to hint that the dog needs a ‘home’ for the three weeks away, I then had to find her a boarding kennel.’
- ‘In addition, the foundation will build a school facility complete with offices, boarding kennels, veterinary facilities, and dormitories.’
- ‘Unless you have a helpful family to look after your dog, be prepared for the expense of boarding kennels.’
- ‘Some boarding kennels now offer luxuries such as sofas and Jacuzzis.’
- ‘Use a boarding kennel you are familiar with.’
- ‘One koala managed to strand herself on the roof of a boarding kennel.’
- ‘New boarding kennels have just opened and are less than a ten minutes drive from Portlaoise.’
- ‘When that's not possible, make sure the boarding kennel you choose has strict requirements about vaccinations and a disinfection protocol that will minimize the spread of disease.’
- ‘You can take them to a boarding kennel or you can hire a pet sitter.’
- ‘If you have not yet booked your pet into a boarding kennel or found a reliable house sitter, it may be too late, he says.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.