One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Long shorts of a kind originally worn by surfers.‘I stripped off down to my boardies and began catching some rays’
- ‘He now has his first pair of hibiscus-print boardies, little surfer-boy-to-be that he is.’
- ‘He might have to pack something more substantial than a singlet and boardies!’
- ‘When you hit 10 or 12, you wanna be cool, so you switch to boardies.’
- ‘Today I managed to get my boardies actually ripped off.’
- ‘The casual shirts come in the latest fashions and colours, and there are lots of shorts in a number of different styles including long shorts and boardies.’
- ‘Time to dust off the boardies and measure the amount of winter chocolate consumption.’
- ‘My boardies had to lay to rest for a slight bit longer before I could break them out again.’
- ‘The beachwear line of boardies and bikinis benefit from the use of quick-dry materials.’
- ‘I need to cast off the boardies of adolescence and assume the Speedos of the bodysurfing master before I will be considered for admission to the inner circle.’
- ‘I purchased some cheap sunnies and boardies, had a swim in the pool, and chilled in the sauna.’
1960s: abbreviation of board shorts.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.