Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Long shorts of a kind originally worn by surfers.
- ‘He was shirtless and wearing board shorts and sandals.’
- ‘The final will be judged in three categories - board shorts, sportswear and speedos.’
- ‘Casey rolled her eyes and sat at the side of the pool, wearing her plain costume under board shorts and a rash shirt.’
- ‘High noon, with the sun blazing down, found two people walking the streets wearing white tank tops and cream board shorts.’
- ‘The waterproof windbreaker, board shorts and salt air made me feel pretty sporty.’
- ‘He said the man was wearing off-white board shorts, no shirt and had a shaved head.’
- ‘Bring a classic longboard skate and a wear a faded authentic Hawaiian shirt and shredded cargo shorts or board shorts.’
- ‘She peers over her sunglasses to see Taylor and Alex walk directly passed her, wearing board shorts and carrying surfboards at their sides.’
- ‘He and his dad were dressed alike - board shorts and a surfing company T - shirt.’
- ‘I slipped my pajama pants off and pulled my board shorts on.’
- ‘I settled for a black sleeveless shirt and streaked violet board shorts.’
- ‘Alas, after a while, the sight of board shorts, singlets, jandals and sunglasses will make you wince.’
- ‘Ok, so I didn't expect him to come to the beach in a suit or some kind of formal wear, so I guess his attire of board shorts, white tank top and thongs didn't count.’
- ‘One of the girls, in a black bikini top and board shorts, tossed her dreadlocks over her shoulders and grinned back.’
- ‘I bought some shirts and board shorts and went into a gift shop where I bought Lily a box made out of shells and matching toe rings for us.’
- ‘I usually wear tankinis or bikini tops with a skirt or board shorts.’
- ‘I changed into my bathing suit and board shorts (I didn't like showing my legs) and headed down.’
- ‘She actually had the gall to wear board shorts instead of the bikini standard at the time, and influenced an entire generation of wahine surfers.’
- ‘I was already wearing the board shorts I customarily swam in, with a light shirt covering my torso.’
- ‘Baggy board shorts are both practical and fun and come with a funky surf-style tie in a range of colourful prints.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.