One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British mass noun A cosmetic of a powder or cream consistency used to give a warm colour to the cheeks.
cosmetics, greasepaintView synonyms
- ‘He recommends a wax or cream formulation for eye pencil, lipstick and cream blusher on the beach.’
- ‘I just knew the five most basic things - compact powder, eye shadow, blusher, eyeliner and lipstick.’
- ‘They also seem to lose all sense of colour as the make up goes on… bright pink lipstick, blue eye shadow and mascara, oodles of blusher and funny coloured hair.’
- ‘I dusted some blusher onto my cheeks and ran a comb through my hair.’
- ‘I added blusher and eyeshadow.’
- ‘She advised Jane to go for a lighter foundation and add colour by using blusher.’
- ‘We can give them rhinestones or glitter on the nails, or make-up, which is blusher, eyes and lips.’
- ‘After applying a light foundation all over the face, smudge a little cream or gel blusher over the cheekbone with a brush or finger.’
- ‘Although I don't wear a huge amount, you'll never see me without blusher and lip-gloss.’
- ‘Older women tend to over-compensate by putting on too much foundation, blusher and powder.’
- ‘She applied eye shadow, mascara, a little bit of blusher, and strawberry lip-gloss to finish the look.’
- ‘One thug is bound and dressed in lingerie, lipstick and blusher.’
- ‘The range of natural make-up includes mascara, lip liner, eye shadow and blusher, as well as cosmetic brushes.’
- ‘She had just been on holiday so I didn't want to use too much foundation, I mainly used some blusher on her cheeks.’
- ‘One of the quickest and most effective ways to give glitz to your looks is to add blusher to your make-up routine.’
- ‘I'd just done it myself - some concealer, tinted moisturiser, blusher, mascara and that was it.’
- ‘There were tubes of mascara, eyeliner, different shades of eye shadow, blusher and dozens and dozens of lip gloss.’
- ‘From this distance it was impossible to tell whether it was blusher or that colouring that seems to come with a life in the country.’
- ‘Make-up is simple - lip gloss, mascara and blusher - but my hair is unruly, so I'm in and out of the hairdressers more times than enough.’
- ‘‘When I do a competition I wear foundation, blusher, lipstick and mascara,’ she said.’
2A toadstool with a buff cap bearing fluffy white spots and with white flesh that turns pink when bruised or cut, found in woodland in Eurasia and North America.
- ‘The fly agaric, the caesars mushroom and the blusher are in many regions widely known.’
- ‘Know your blusher from your stinkhorn and a tasty dinner from certain death!’
- ‘All the same you should get expert identification before sampling them - one of the only two deadly toadstools in this country looks almost identical to the 'Blusher', which is a delicious edible variety.’
- ‘The main edible species of the genus are the blusher, grisette, and orange.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.