Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing embarrassment; embarrassing.‘he has written a blush-making appreciation of me’
shaming, shameful, humiliating, mortifying, demeaning, degrading, ignominiousView synonyms
- ‘Our own delegation, by contrast, is a blush-making collection of hacks and fanatics with no bona fides in women's rights or international development.’
- ‘How perfectly blush-making of me to have forgotten.’
- ‘I have, like everyone else, a few blush-making things on my conscience.’
- ‘There are a whole range of therapists who will dose you with mind-numbing pills or involve you in blush-making adult play groups.’
- ‘For all her blush-making baby-talk, she emerges as a formidable figure who put up with her husband's flirtations and possible infidelities with dignity.’
- ‘He has written a blush-making appreciation of his visit to me.’
- ‘The comedian can usually be counted on for at least one blush-making quote.’
- ‘Captain Lane kept looking at me sidelong, in a blush-making way that I didn't mind at all.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.