One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Causing embarrassment; embarrassing.‘he has written a blush-making appreciation of me’
shaming, shameful, humiliating, mortifying, demeaning, degrading, ignominiousView synonyms
- ‘The comedian can usually be counted on for at least one blush-making quote.’
- ‘How perfectly blush-making of me to have forgotten.’
- ‘I have, like everyone else, a few blush-making things on my conscience.’
- ‘For all her blush-making baby-talk, she emerges as a formidable figure who put up with her husband's flirtations and possible infidelities with dignity.’
- ‘Captain Lane kept looking at me sidelong, in a blush-making way that I didn't mind at all.’
- ‘He has written a blush-making appreciation of his visit to me.’
- ‘There are a whole range of therapists who will dose you with mind-numbing pills or involve you in blush-making adult play groups.’
- ‘Our own delegation, by contrast, is a blush-making collection of hacks and fanatics with no bona fides in women's rights or international development.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.