One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large African waxbill with a stout metallic blue bill and red and black plumage.
2Any of a number of ducks with blue bills.
- ‘When drought hit the prairies and parkland in the mid-1980s, scaup (bluebill) numbers fell below their goal of just over 6 million.’
- ‘For years, they'd noticed bluebills disappearing from the state, and they blamed the lack of scuds - the same freshwater shrimp being eaten by minnows - for the decline.’
- ‘Scaup (bluebill) numbers plummeted during the past two decades, falling from a high of more than 7 million in the early 1980s to about 3.4 million this year.’
- ‘It is a great place for information on bluebill hunting, Minnesota bluebill hunting, Saskatchewan snow goose hunting and other hunting information.’
- ‘The research also determined that body weights of collected bluebills were greater than or similar to estimates from birds collected in the 1980s before the precipitous decline.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.