One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bird or fish, especially a trout or a sockeye salmon, having a bluish back.
- ‘Some other common names for Oncorhynchus kisutch are coho, silver, blueback, and hook nose salmon.’
- ‘Paddling over the six sets of rapids created by the dam removal, you think of the blueback herring that spawn in fast whitewater.’
- ‘Waters up on the Appalachian Trail to the south hold Sunapee trout - a rare cousin of the blueback trout found only in a few Maine ponds.’
- ‘The two largest and most important of the herrings were probably blueback herring (A. aestivalis) and hickory shad (A. mediocris).’
- ‘Arctic char a close relative of the trout is often found in the cold, clear waters of glacial lakes where it is referred to as blueback, Sunapee, or Quebec red trout.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.