One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very faint short-lived cone of deep blue light sometimes observed in the upper atmosphere above an intense thunderstorm.
- ‘Occurring in the middle of the atmosphere, red sprites look like the stems of carrots, while blue jets are small streaks of light with flared ends like the horn of trumpet.’
- ‘The different types of giant lightning go by exotic names: red sprites, blue jets and elves.’
- ‘They found themselves battered by intense hail inside a thunderstorm and witnessing not sprites - but blue jets.’
- ‘They have been correlated with lightning strikes and may be related to visible phenomena that occur in the upper atmosphere over thunderstorms, such as red sprites and blue jets.’
- ‘An atmospheric scientist in Colorado described blue jets as ‘upward lightning strikes.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.