One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large edible swimming crab of the Atlantic coast of North America.
- ‘Beneath the surface, the variety of species is evident in the oysters, blue crabs, and striped bass, and the submerged plant life that makes up their habitat.’
- ‘Moreover, the unpredictable nature of the blue crab protects the crab from overharvesting and helps ensure there will always be crabs.’
- ‘Post-metamorphic growth in the blue crab entails an increase in body mass that spans several orders of magnitude.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the snail's primary predator, the blue crab, has declined 40 to 85 percent in recent years.’
- ‘The successful hatching rate could also be attributed to last winter's abundance of blue crabs along the Texas Gulf Coast.’
- ‘While efforts are underway to restore the oyster fishery, currently the blue crab is the bay's only remaining significant commercial fishery.’
- ‘A Louisiana study indicated a single abandoned or derelict crab trap annually catches and kills about 26 blue crabs.’
- ‘And after a satisfying day of bird-watching, treat yourself to a scrumptious meal of Maryland's famous blue crabs, oysters, or a freshly caught fish.’
- ‘After an indecently large plateful of oysters it was into the grilled blue crab and rock lobsters, which I must say were particularly good.’
- ‘White shrimp, blue crabs, sea trout and other fish require brackish water to reproduce, and the mouth of the Rio Grande was one of the few places they could find it.’
- ‘Coastal wetlands are also essential for important shellfish including shrimp, blue crabs, oysters and clams.’
- ‘Anywhere you go in Maryland, you can have a delectable meal of a just-caught fish, or perhaps some freshly shucked oysters, or the state's famous blue crabs, prepared in a multitude of delirious ways.’
- ‘Invertebrate fisheries have also collapsed, including those for blue crabs and oysters in the Chesapeake Bay, and for lobsters, abalone, squid and sea urchins off the California coast.’
- ‘Little is known about the sexual development and breeding behavior of blue crabs, so scientists are studying the crab to see what they can learn from it.’
- ‘After these choices come the king crab, blue crab and rock lobster, and you are almost half way through the menu!’
- ‘All kinds of sea life lived in the shallow water right off the beach: schools of young fish, multitudes of upside-down jellyfish, lone blue crabs, tiny seahorses, and playing dolphins.’
- ‘The range is comprehensive, starting with different breads, olives (both green and black), assorted cheeses, a seafood terrine, blue crab, river prawn, tiger prawn and rock lobster.’
- ‘In today's crab market, and given their economic reliance on the blue crab fishery, Maryland watermen feel they need to fish a large number of pots, particularly if crabbing is the main source of financial support for a family.’
- ‘Medium-sized terrapins still relied on small snails but apportioned more of their diet among large snails, blue crabs, and fiddler crabs.’
- ‘The basin leads the nation in oyster production and has a thriving blue crab population.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.