One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly valued person, especially a sports player.
- ‘If ‘nearly all of their blue chippers… performed well’ then why are they all the way down at 8?’
- ‘Still, despite the uncertainty at a few positions, the Scorpions mix of high-ceiling blue chippers and sure-bet second tier prospects should make for quite a few trips around the bases.’
- ‘Her future coach is delighted that he was able to persuade these blue chippers to remain close to home.’
- ‘Now, many blue chippers go right from high school to the NBA.’
- ‘When the multi-talented athlete fresh from the south side of Chicago first came to professional ranks in the Expos system in 1991, he had the look of a blue chipper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.