One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Censor or make cuts in (a manuscript, film, or other work)‘holding up each paragraph for preliminary blue-pencilling’
delete, cross out, cross through, strike out, score out, scratch out, cancel, put a line through, ink out, edit out, blank outView synonyms
- ‘Also, true excellence in writing will be quickly blue-penciled into oblivion.’
- ‘This notion of ‘invisible letters,’ in turn blue-penciled in revision, makes all the more telling the poet's deletion of the phrase that identified the cryptic ‘N.C.’ of his dedication as ‘our long old love’.’
- ‘Before the web, when writing that became publicly available had first to pass under the watchful eye of a sub-editor, such formations would have been blue-pencilled into conventional forms.’
- ‘We are still in the ethereal realm of speculation: if the manuscripts of the author's novels have been preserved with the editor's blue-pencilling, they will make for an interesting study.’
- ‘I've been blue-pencilled by madmen, seriously deranged obsessives and fiends in human shape before now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.