Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Windy or windswept.‘a blowy day’
windy, windswept, blustery, gusty, breezy, draughty, freshView synonyms
- ‘See now, rounding the headland, a forlorn hopeless bird, trembling black wings fingering the blowy air, dainty and ghostly, careless of the scattering salt.’
- ‘Thank you for coming… it's a bit blowy outside.’
- ‘Conditions at Canoe Brook were blowy and wet, remarkably Open-like in fact.’
- ‘And outside, it's cold, blowy and snowy: real Texas, rather than the TV-land place it was to become.’
- ‘Barely 12 hours after the final round of the British Open at blowy, blustery Royal Lytham and the newly-crowned champion and chums were cracking away on the other side of the world.’
- ‘With the weather being a tad on the blowy side at the moment I've noticed that my skin is starting to feel dry and a little sore.’
- ‘We have wind, this is heavy duty, serious blowy stuff.’
- ‘In the first three days we've seen it calm, blowy and wet.’
- ‘Key line: ‘A snowy, blowy Christmas, a mistletoey Christmas, a turkey lurkey Christmas to you!’’
- ‘It was very blowy and some of the greens were tricky but I hit the ball fantastically well and missed only four or five greens which is pretty good out there.’
- ‘However, in blowy conditions at St Teresa's pitch on the Glen Road in Belfast, the St. Louis boys finally made the dream become a reality as they toppled a very physical Loreto College, Coleraine team.’
- ‘Talking of storms, this interview is potentially a bit blowy for me, too: I once had to apologise to a Lady for falsely accusing her of being German (she is half-French and half-Russian and also a British citizen).’
- ‘Tralee town itself is a good place to come back to after a blowy winter's walk.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.