One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The nostril of a whale or dolphin on the top of its head.
- ‘While the rest of us stood agog as the spray from the whales' blowholes misted over the deck, three divers managed to slip into the water.’
- ‘When they dive, muscles close the blowhole and their ribcage collapses to keep air bubbles from forming in the bloodstream.’
- ‘A calf will hump up onto the back of the sleeping mother, breach onto her, cover her blowhole with his tail.’
- ‘One of the whales spouted a cloud of mist from its blowhole.’
- ‘They are surrounded by crowds of people stroking and patting them often near sensitive areas such as their blowholes and they become obese through uncontrolled feeding.’
2A hole in ice through which a sea mammal breathes or a person fishes.
outlet, inlet, opening, aperture, vent hole, hole, gap, orifice, space, cavity, cleft, slit, pore, portView synonyms
- ‘They will sit by a seal blowhole for hours, waiting, until the animal surfaces.’
- ‘A burly man raises a stick with a hook on the end to strike a baby seal as it surfaces from a blowhole in the ice.’
- ‘The bears wait and watch at the seal's blowhole, not moving, perhaps hiding their black noses behind the ice.’
- ‘Soon you come across a blowhole forming a vertical shaft 1.5m in diameter that leads to the surface.’
- ‘Polar bears will stand or lie by the seals blowhole in the ice for hours; they may swim towards seals resting on the ice flows with only their nose showing above the water.’
- 2.1 A vent for air or smoke in a tunnel or other structure.
vent, vent hole, way out, exit, egressView synonyms
- ‘Tunnels and Caves is another popular site, starting and finishing through a blowhole that leads to an underwater playground of caves and tunnels, where bubbles escape through volcanic fissures.’
- ‘This electrical power generating system is applicable in any location where wave action in blowholes produces compressed air.’
- ‘It has blowholes and lava tubes, the wettest spot on earth, and the nation's only royal palace.’
- ‘This can probably be attributed to the top blowhole wicking away the rising hot air.’
- ‘This vent area is not your standard side mounted blowhole.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.