One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of fishes that are able to inflate their bodies when alarmed, such as a globefish.
- ‘I didn't think it was possible for Shanna to look like she swallowed a blowfish.’
- ‘The tropical marine blowfish, which can grossly distend its spiny body into globular form, thereby terrifying confused predators.’
- ‘Only specified licensed chefs are qualified to prepare the blowfish for human consumption.’
- ‘He reminds me of a blowfish, trying to puff himself up into far more importance than he actually has.’
- ‘‘I really think that's a little presumptuous of you to characterize me as such so early in the game,’ I said, puffing up like a blowfish.’
- ‘And not just any fish, mind you, but tasty ones, like flying fish, yellowtail and blowfish - the forbidden fugu - plus spiny, slimy things like ebi, abalone and crawfish.’
- ‘‘No,’ he replied as his face turned into a giant red blowfish.’
- ‘He's a great guy, and he's promised to show me how to cook blowfish.’
- ‘You have the fish - your piranha, your suckers, your blowfish, your sharks, your bottom feeders, your overpriced tuna.’
- ‘What do you think, should I press my face to the window and do the blowfish thing?’
- ‘Cut the blowfish on a bias into paper-thin slices.’
- ‘Her cheeks colored prettily and I had the insane urge to kiss the lips impersonating a blowfish.’
- ‘And from belugas to blowfish, the world's largest aquarium has it all.’
- ‘Well, on the bright side I now know how a blowfish feels.’
- ‘Showing false strength is a bluff, and works at times in the natural world - like a blowfish or a bear standing up on two legs.’
- ‘And after it turned out Homer really didn't eat a poisonous blowfish, leaving him with more than just one day to live, what was the first thing he did with a new lease on life?’
- ‘Even the unlucky fisher who caught the most blowfish was rewarded at a family fishing event on the weekend.’
- ‘What exactly makes a particular blowfish the best?’
- ‘By the time he had arrived, Rachael's knee had swelled up like a blowfish, and a nice, purple bruise was starting to form.’
- ‘Galen had just crossed his eyes and puckered his lips together, much like a blowfish, towards Mikey, who in return scooped Kris over his shoulder and broke into an all out run.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.