Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of fishes that are able to inflate their bodies when alarmed, such as a globefish.
- ‘‘I really think that's a little presumptuous of you to characterize me as such so early in the game,’ I said, puffing up like a blowfish.’
- ‘By the time he had arrived, Rachael's knee had swelled up like a blowfish, and a nice, purple bruise was starting to form.’
- ‘‘No,’ he replied as his face turned into a giant red blowfish.’
- ‘You have the fish - your piranha, your suckers, your blowfish, your sharks, your bottom feeders, your overpriced tuna.’
- ‘Cut the blowfish on a bias into paper-thin slices.’
- ‘Showing false strength is a bluff, and works at times in the natural world - like a blowfish or a bear standing up on two legs.’
- ‘Only specified licensed chefs are qualified to prepare the blowfish for human consumption.’
- ‘Her cheeks colored prettily and I had the insane urge to kiss the lips impersonating a blowfish.’
- ‘What exactly makes a particular blowfish the best?’
- ‘Galen had just crossed his eyes and puckered his lips together, much like a blowfish, towards Mikey, who in return scooped Kris over his shoulder and broke into an all out run.’
- ‘What do you think, should I press my face to the window and do the blowfish thing?’
- ‘The tropical marine blowfish, which can grossly distend its spiny body into globular form, thereby terrifying confused predators.’
- ‘And after it turned out Homer really didn't eat a poisonous blowfish, leaving him with more than just one day to live, what was the first thing he did with a new lease on life?’
- ‘Well, on the bright side I now know how a blowfish feels.’
- ‘Even the unlucky fisher who caught the most blowfish was rewarded at a family fishing event on the weekend.’
- ‘And not just any fish, mind you, but tasty ones, like flying fish, yellowtail and blowfish - the forbidden fugu - plus spiny, slimy things like ebi, abalone and crawfish.’
- ‘And from belugas to blowfish, the world's largest aquarium has it all.’
- ‘He reminds me of a blowfish, trying to puff himself up into far more importance than he actually has.’
- ‘I didn't think it was possible for Shanna to look like she swallowed a blowfish.’
- ‘He's a great guy, and he's promised to show me how to cook blowfish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.