Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Be considerably better or more successful than:‘a package that blows the doors off anything on the market’
- ‘This was Lee's second summer as an intern and ‘she blew the doors off of this,’ Stephan said.’
- ‘While its performance blows the doors off the competition over any terrain, a cramped interior and clunky cabin tech bring it down.’
- ‘It blows the doors off of the machines at the low end, just blows the doors off of them.’
- ‘Then came these new bands and they blew the doors off the traditional format.’
- ‘The best-selling author is blowing the doors off business as usual with hard truths and ideas that work.’
- ‘Lasers add new level of design detail, virtually blowing the doors off traditional steel rule die cutting.’
- ‘Joe's book blows the doors off conventional thinking and offers a brilliant new yet accessible approach to community.’
- ‘In those days 8-tracks blew the doors off anything coming from a radio station, despite their infamous fadeouts when the tracks switched.’
- ‘Liberate people's thinking by introducing them to gutsy leaders who are blowing the doors off business as usual’
- ‘This past year's induction ceremony showcased 70 characters and blew the doors off last years numbers!’
- ‘Like when punk rock reclaimed rock and roll, blowing the doors off the recording industry in the process.’
- ‘Power enough to blow the doors off of most living rooms and much more.’
- ‘Essentially, Bugatti made the decision to blow the doors off the supercar world by creating a 1,000-horsepower engine.’
- ‘When professionals entered the Olympics they blew the doors off the ‘amateurs’.’
- ‘Mine would blow the doors off of just about anything else out there, but I did spend over $3000.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.