Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Kill someone using a firearm.‘the heroine straps on a gun and blows away the bad guys’
murder, cause the death of, end the life of, take the life of, do away with, make away with, assassinate, do to death, eliminate, terminate, dispatch, finish off, put to death, executeView synonyms
- ‘Yet, I still want to get even, to go back there and blow them away, Smoke 'em, do a number on them, get that supervisor's supervisor in hot water with her superiors.’
- ‘Ohhhhh, how I would love to blow you away right now with my plasma ray gun,’
- ‘Two weeks after Gary had thumped me, his ten-year-old brother blew him away with a pump action shot gun, which his dad kept locked in the boot of an old BMW in his garage.’
- ‘I grew up on the streets of Pittsburgh and I learned to treat everybody with respect because if not, one day that might be the guy who draws a gun on you and blows you away.’
- ‘I know that you have guns I would be interested in, and if you don't just shut your mouth and show them to me, I'll just blow you away right here and take every gun you have!’
2Impress someone greatly.‘I'm blown away by his new poem’
impress, overwhelm, bedazzle, strike, move, stir, affect, touch, sweep someone off their feet, awe, overawe, leave speechless, take someone's breath away, spellbind, hypnotize, fascinate, take aback, daze, stagger, floor, amaze, astonishView synonyms
- ‘It's no surprise that they absolutely blew me away at the Bowery.’
- ‘Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe they'll just blow me away with something I never expected, who knows?’
- ‘Just then you are blown away by the outstanding achievements in certain segments of technology and business unparalleled anywhere in the world.’
- ‘I've heard of dumb questions but one teacher expressing astonishment at my use of Yen blew me away.’
- ‘The entire show was in Spanish and the anchor on the show would introduce the next caption with such excitement you knew you would be blown away.’
- ‘Everywhere I looked I saw another person from another corner of the world throwing down another trick that blew me away.’
- ‘My overall impression was positive, though I was not blown away.’
- ‘And the couple admit they have been blown away by its success.’
- ‘But if I ever harboured doubts about why I stayed with the project for this long, then they were blown away completely by the sublime moment last Wednesday.’
- ‘I stood up in the crowd and explained what we were portraying and the reason behind the use of color and lines and they were blown away at that point.’
- ‘If that was a surprise for Abe, he was blown away with what happened next.’
- ‘Ellis threw down some stuff the other day and it just blew me away.’
- ‘And the animation, which combines impressionistic images with remarkable three-dimensionality will blow you away.’
- ‘‘I want something that blows me away, something that surprises me, something that brings me to tears or sings so beautifully I want to read it over again and again,’ he says.’
- ‘He's not going to blow you away - he throws about 89 to 91 mph - but this kid has a tremendous slider and a great breaking ball.’
- ‘‘It blew them away,’ said Brown of her guests' impressions of the trip.’
- ‘‘Boy, you keep blowing me away with your surprises the more time I spend with you,’ he muttered.’
- ‘And she talks about how Jake is just so cute and how she was blown away by Jennifer's performance in the film.’
- ‘While we weren't terribly impressed with the overclockability of the card, the performance blew us away.’
- ‘We have heard nothing but praise for the restaurant from others, and we were blown away by the quality of service and atmosphere, the friendliness of the staff as well as the standard of the food - all outstanding.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.