Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ruin the effectiveness of.‘the amendment could blow a hole in the legislation’
wreck, ruin, spoil, disrupt, undo, upset, play havoc with, make a mess of, put an end to, end, bring to an end, put a stop to, terminate, prevent, frustrate, blight, crush, quell, quash, dash, scotch, shatter, vitiate, blast, devastate, demolish, sabotage, torpedoView synonyms
- ‘Former Manchester United star Henning Berg hopes to bid a fond farewell to Old Trafford tomorrow by blowing a hole in his old club's title ambitions.’
- ‘He could blow a hole in the very argument the administration was making on why we ought to go to war.’
- ‘He said the rate of increase in current spending would have to be cut from 22% to around 10% immediately, or else it would blow a hole in the economy.’
- ‘As he tries to explain this theory, Gonzales blows a hole in it himself.’
- ‘The SPA, he says, blows a hole in government plans for more than 200,000 new homes by 2016 in the Thames Basin and Thames Gateway areas.’
- ‘A report by a top level think-tank blows a hole in Government claims that the gap between rich and poor has narrowed.’
- ‘If you love eating out, all you really need to know to avoid blowing a hole in your healthy eating plans is which dishes to go for and which to avoid.’
- ‘This is genuinely good news except for the fact that by then new genomic-based therapies will be available, blowing a hole in the national strategies.’
- ‘The near - 16% fall in the cost of clothing and footwear over the same period tends to blow a hole in that argument.’
- ‘Belle Vue's revamped side are planning to lay down a marker for a new, brighter era by blowing a hole in Oxford's Elite League title bid.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.