Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Women's loose-fitting knee-length knickers, considered old-fashioned.
- ‘I had on a standard breast band, a loincloth, a camisole and a corset, bloomers, petticoats and then a slip.’
- ‘As for underwear changing its role from garment of modesty to garment of display, just what was there about the bloomers of our grandmothers, or the vests and long johns favoured by our grandfathers, that should make us feel nostalgic?’
- ‘Hope gave a sharp downward tug on her skirt, letting it fall to the ground, revealing a pair of loose-fitting, teal bloomers, ‘Get out of here, now!’’
- ‘For what the bright eyed youth had said was true, her skirts were indeed neatly tucked into the back of her bloomers, revealing acres of leg and frilly pantaloons to all!’
- ‘I stared at the women's bloomers, dirt-covered toes and dusty feet, and marveled at streets.’
- ‘It was a challenge for a young lady who had once cried, ‘Mommy, I simply cannot go another day without a pair of proper bloomers!’’
- ‘The first purpose made swimsuits of modern history consisted of a long-sleeved, bloused tunic buttoned up the front, cinched at the waist, and worn over baggy bloomers and black stockings.’
- ‘Other coloured knickers, bloomers, pants and drawers peeping out of the top of low slung trackies do not count.’
- ‘Katherine pulled her undershirt and bloomers off and threw them onto the floor.’
- ‘I was standing before him in just my corset and bloomers.’
- ‘We redid out packs organizing them, my skirt and top were dirty, wrinkled, and still wet so I folded them and put them in my pack, deciding to walk in my bloomers and corset.’
- ‘And the funniest one I recall was of a lady whose elastic burst in the bloomers, very long ones, and her daughter actually brought this specific pair in to show us all, and they were huge, and came down at that stage well past her knees.’
- ‘‘Everyone's got a bit of a wrinkle in their bloomers, Mister Christopher,’ she told him, smiling a little wider.’
- ‘Remaining in bloomers and the frilly corset, I darted from the cover.’
- ‘I had to wear a corselet and these awful bloomers with lace on the bottom of them.’
- ‘Eric gave Cathena his coat that he managed to hang onto because, at this point, all the Castillian woman had on was stockings, bloomers and a corset.’
- ‘Music-hall dancers called for shortened skirts, and their high kicks gave more emphasis to the ruffled underside and bloomers than to the exterior of the garments.’
- ‘The bloomers and a chemise would have gone under layers and layers of corsetry and petticoats, which could weigh up to 7lb.’
- ‘She pointed out, continuing to remove her clothes until she stood in front of them with only a pair of bloomers and an undershirt.’
- ‘She walked into the water wetting her bloomers.’
- 1.1historical Women's and girls' loose-fitting trousers, gathered at the knee or, originally, the ankle.
- ‘Bicycle skirts of a shorter length and bicycle bloomers soon became popular, but from some elicited cries of indignation.’
- ‘Promoted by feminists such as Frances Willard, the bicycle allowed women independent mobility and gave them reason to wear bloomers rather than sweeping skirts.’
- ‘Given this culture, the delight of abandoning long skirts and dresses, corsets and tight waists, and high button shoes for the bloomers, middy blouses, and comfortable walking shoes of camp was a welcomed liberty.’
- ‘The ‘official uniform’ consisted of a blue skirt and walking bloomers, a white blouse, a hat, walking shoes, a mackintosh, and a sweater.’
- ‘They were replaced by short skirts and bloomers and, eventually, just form-fitting shorts and shirts.’
Mid 19th century: named after Mrs Amelia J. Bloomer (1818–94), an American social reformer who advocated a similar garment.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.