One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of hardwood trees with deep red timber.
a tree of the Old World tropics (genus Pterocarpus, family Leguminosae), including kiaat.
an Australian gum tree (genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae, in particular E. gummifera).
- ‘We visited in September during the Wibabiya season, when singing rings through the sun-drenched stringybark, woollybutt and bloodwood forests.’
- ‘This species of eucalypt here is one of the yellow bloodwoods.’
- ‘The inlaws do the carving of the Pukumani poles which are made from the bloodwood tree, then painted with ochres and erected around the grave.’
- ‘The homestead museum sits secluded among the bloodwoods, nutwoods and cabbage gums.’
- ‘I follow the green up the stony rise behind the bloodwood.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.