One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American plant of the poppy family, which has white flowers and fleshy underground rhizomes which exude red sap when cut.
Sanguinaria canadensis, family Papaveraceae
- ‘Wildflowers like bloodroot, Trillium and Hepatica also bloom in late winter.’
- ‘The bloodroots flower near her feet as delicate as bible leaves, and slow, persistent ivy kindles on old trees.’
- ‘Another notable treat you will find in the park is a spectacular array of wild flowers like the trillium, bloodroot and liverwort.’
- ‘The area was called Bloodroot Valley because of the profusion of bloodroot flowers that blanketed the valley in the early spring.’
- ‘Harvest herb roots including bloodroot, chicory, ginseng, and golden seal in the fall, after the foliage fades.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.