One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1historical The surgical removal of some of a patient's blood for therapeutic purposes.
- ‘Today, many medical practices such as bloodletting are no longer used.’
- ‘There has been a health care crisis since we were bloodletting.’
- ‘But the range of surgical expertise dealt largely with the surface of the body: for example cautery, bloodletting, and draining boils and abscesses.’
- ‘There are medieval scenes of bloodletting, and of doctors cauterising patients' piles, polyps, and even cataracts (ouch).’
- ‘Then, your doctor might have recommended such treatments as bloodletting or taking dangerous doses of sulfur and mercury.’
2The violent killing and wounding of people during a war or conflict.‘gang members have halted their internecine bloodletting’
slaughter, slaying, killing, carnage, butchery, massacre, murder, bloodbath, gore, pogrom, genocideView synonyms
- ‘Going by the rage and anger that the assassination has sparked, the world should brace itself for more violence and bloodletting.’
- ‘Both societies have a mixed history that included periods of peaceful, cooperative politics and periods of violence and bloodletting.’
- ‘Tragic as all this violence and bloodletting is, even I am starting to have trouble distinguishing these reports from one another, day after day.’
- ‘And the surreal and brutal slaughter, violence and bloodletting equals the Crusades.’
- ‘Someone must stop it, someone has to, or it shall all end in a violent storm of bloodletting.’
- 2.1 Bitter division and quarrelling within an organization.‘the consequences for the party of new bloodletting’
- ‘The bloodletting at the organisation, which employs 6,000 people across the country, follows a report which was highly critical of the corporation.’
- ‘But industry watchers believe the bloodletting isn't over.’
- ‘Sure, they showed division, open animosities and public bloodletting.’
- ‘They will be hoping to choose a candidate early in the primary season, and with limited bloodletting.’
- ‘But, unplanned, they can also trigger a bout of internal party bloodletting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.