One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An orange of a variety with red or red-streaked flesh.
- ‘And their frozen margaritas - ever-changing offerings that have included flavors such as blood orange and mango - are definitely sophisticated, if not traditional.’
- ‘Place the grapefruit, blood orange, and orange segments in a large, shallow bowl and pour the jelly on top.’
- ‘The appetizer was promising, featuring crab and sea urchin and avocado and blood orange.’
- ‘Chocolate orange truffle: Hot chocolate swirled with orange vodka and Grand Marnier, garnished with a chocolate-dipped blood orange.’
- ‘I watched him this morning juicing a grapefruit, guava, blood orange, mango, plums, and grapes and pouring the elixir into a giant glass pitcher.’
- ‘In a small bowl, place two tangerine segments and one blood orange segment.’
- ‘Danny had blood orange carpaccio with pomegranate granite and lime and that was very refreshing too.’
- ‘This is a late-ripening blood orange from Spain.’
- ‘A blood orange mojito is fresh tasting and herbal, and the splash of acidity makes it an affable partner to the food.’
- ‘The food is now amazing especially for bar food - I had the salad of confit duck with blood orange and rocket which was really delicious.’
- ‘Next layer thinly sliced avocado on top, followed by supremed slices of blood orange.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the grapefruit, blood orange, lemon, lime, and tangerine segments.’
- ‘This is a delicious pound cake glazed with a blood orange glaze.’
- ‘A seasonal blood orange jelly with tiny triangles of orange flesh came quivering to the table with a satiny-smooth orange blossom ice cream just beginning to melt on top.’
- ‘The salmon was prepared in a marinade of Sicilian blood orange and passion fruit, with a healthy dose of ginger, and sat atop a cold sweet potato purée.’
- ‘In a separate bowl, combine the blood orange marmalade, blood orange segments, and blood orange zest and toss to coat.’
- ‘For the blood orange soup, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until dissolved and set aside.’
- ‘Whatever it is, I'm eating a delicious mix of blood orange and passion fruit.’
- ‘One type of citrus gaining popularity is the blood orange.’
- ‘To assemble the blood orange slices, arrange the orange rinds on a sheet pan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.