One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the various types of human blood whose antigen characteristics determine compatibility in transfusion. The best-known blood groups are those of the ABO system.
- ‘A blood stain matching his blood group was discovered on a chair while a fingerprint was found on broken glass.’
- ‘Unless someone new comes along soon, and probably someone who has the same blood group, I hate to think what will happen to my brother.’
- ‘His papers tell me his blood group is B +, the same as mine.’
- ‘The Rhesus factor is part of your blood group: everyone is either positive or negative.’
- ‘A database of their blood group will be prepared.’
- ‘A woman was on her cell phone and was looking for a person whose blood group was B +. My blood group is B +, so I approached her.’
- ‘Uncross-matched blood means the patient's blood group was not determined in advance of a transfusion.’
- ‘Preliminary test of a sample of his blood revealed, to his relief, his blood group matched with that of the girl.’
- ‘There is a mini polyclinic where students performing various tests that include blood pressure and blood group.’
- ‘Blood cells have certain antigens, like the blood group and the Rhesus factor.’
- ‘Doctors make sure the blood group and tissue are compatible before the operation to establish the likelihood of success, as well as screening for transmittable diseases.’
- ‘ABO blood group determines much of the enzyme activity in the tissue (brush-border) of the intestine.’
- ‘Since my blood group, A-negative, is a rare group, my friend would call me occasionally to help somebody.’
- ‘With your agreement, the blood you donate will be tested to find out your blood group and screen for any infection.’
- ‘The donor (the person the healthy liver comes from) must have the same blood group as the recipient and should ideally be under 50 years of age.’
- ‘So her blood group and HIV status remained unknown.’
- ‘One of the common questions that doctors get asked, after any patient has had a blood test, is ‘What was my blood group?’’
- ‘Recently, we received a call at the blood bank asking us to send donors of a rare blood group to a corporate hospital in Chennai.’
- ‘He claims the hospital was more concerned about protecting its reputation than trying to find suitable donor organs from a compatible blood group.’
- ‘I was dialysing four times a day and had been told that due to my blood group and tissue type, I was unlikely to obtain a transplant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.