One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the various types of human blood whose antigen characteristics determine compatibility in transfusion. The best-known blood groups are those of the ABO system.
- ‘Uncross-matched blood means the patient's blood group was not determined in advance of a transfusion.’
- ‘A database of their blood group will be prepared.’
- ‘Unless someone new comes along soon, and probably someone who has the same blood group, I hate to think what will happen to my brother.’
- ‘The Rhesus factor is part of your blood group: everyone is either positive or negative.’
- ‘He claims the hospital was more concerned about protecting its reputation than trying to find suitable donor organs from a compatible blood group.’
- ‘A blood stain matching his blood group was discovered on a chair while a fingerprint was found on broken glass.’
- ‘Doctors make sure the blood group and tissue are compatible before the operation to establish the likelihood of success, as well as screening for transmittable diseases.’
- ‘With your agreement, the blood you donate will be tested to find out your blood group and screen for any infection.’
- ‘His papers tell me his blood group is B +, the same as mine.’
- ‘A woman was on her cell phone and was looking for a person whose blood group was B +. My blood group is B +, so I approached her.’
- ‘There is a mini polyclinic where students performing various tests that include blood pressure and blood group.’
- ‘So her blood group and HIV status remained unknown.’
- ‘One of the common questions that doctors get asked, after any patient has had a blood test, is ‘What was my blood group?’’
- ‘Since my blood group, A-negative, is a rare group, my friend would call me occasionally to help somebody.’
- ‘Recently, we received a call at the blood bank asking us to send donors of a rare blood group to a corporate hospital in Chennai.’
- ‘Preliminary test of a sample of his blood revealed, to his relief, his blood group matched with that of the girl.’
- ‘I was dialysing four times a day and had been told that due to my blood group and tissue type, I was unlikely to obtain a transplant.’
- ‘Blood cells have certain antigens, like the blood group and the Rhesus factor.’
- ‘ABO blood group determines much of the enzyme activity in the tissue (brush-border) of the intestine.’
- ‘The donor (the person the healthy liver comes from) must have the same blood group as the recipient and should ideally be under 50 years of age.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.