One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The injection of oxygenated blood into an athlete before an event in an (illegal) attempt to enhance athletic performance.
- ‘Michael then described the methods of illegal performance enhancement: drugs and blood doping.’
- ‘A section on ‘prohibited techniques’ covers such items as blood doping and physical manipulation to alter test results.’
- ‘Throughout my career I always dealt with the knowledge that there was blood doping going on.’
- ‘When he was accused of blood doping, he said he took reindeer milk.’
- ‘According to the scientists, Australia has now thrown away the opportunity to be the global centre of blood doping research, with the backing of the international pharmaceutical industry.’
- ‘If you look at the example I gave about blood doping, that promotes similar kinds of concerns.’
- ‘Using oxygen in high-altitude mountaineering is like blood doping in cycling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.