One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Blocks of concrete, cement, or similar material in a wall or other structure.
- ‘It may be possible to repair the concrete framework around the window and door openings but the infill blockwork is likely to be beyond reasonable repair.’
- ‘Much everyday architecture (at least on the European continent) is created out of stucco on insulated blockwork walls.’
- ‘The external walls of the flats are rendered blockwork.’
- ‘Ireland and Britain has always had a brick and blockwork tradition because of a lack of suitable timber and relatively cheap labour.’
- ‘I consider it would be impracticable to cut the openings and form proper brick and blockwork reveals and inset cills in these low bonded walls.’
- ‘The heavy blockwork walls and ceilings, and the beaten earth floors provide thermal mass and reduce temperature fluctuations.’
- ‘The coloured blockwork of the first style was retained, but the impression of relief was supplied by painted shadows and highlights.’
- ‘The perimeter cavity walls of the building, face brick outside, plastered blockwork inside, exhibit slight but widespread cracking at many locations.’
- ‘Glimpses of the underlying complexities of a facade of ducting and painted blockwork are revealed in the upper levels when viewing the building from the Vulture Street corner, particularly at night.’
- ‘Their prices begin at €50 per square metre, which buys a simple trompe l' oeil wall finish, such as stone blockwork or wooden panelling.’
- ‘Councillors agreed with advice from officials that the location of the buildings, constructed of blockwork and dark-stained timber boarding, in an isolated rural area harmed the landscape.’
- ‘Both houses are conventionally built from a double skin of blockwork, with a cavity, and stone cladding to the exterior, plus partial weatherboarding.’
- ‘In any event, even if they did not actually know that the same lightweight blockwork walls had been specified throughout, they could have found this out with little difficulty.’
- ‘These options are more expensive than brick and blockwork but the construction industry believes the savings in terms of time, labour and productivity make them cost effective.’
- ‘The house in the River Bride valley was built six years ago with rendered blockwork, and is arranged mainly on one floor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.