One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A substance which prevents or inhibits a given physiological function.‘the nicotinic receptor blocker significantly influenced fluid transport in the inflamed intestines’
- ‘We coded all drugs according to the British National Formulary and defined secondary prevention drugs as aspirin, blockers, lipid lowering agents, or angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.’
- ‘This means that the supply of birth control pills, remedies for toenail fungus, cholesterol blockers and antidepressants is ample, whereas vaccines are scarce.’
- ‘The rest of the market goes to acid blockers, which prevent the action of histamine on the acid-secreting cells of the stomach, reducing acid secretion.’
- ‘Normally even such a tiny ‘taste’ of the drug leads to cravings for more, but the blocker prevented the addiction relapse by eliminating these desires.’
- ‘Medicines called ACE inhibitors and angiotensin-II receptor blockers are helpful.’
A habitually defensive batsman.
- ‘His teams of the thirties and forties always had one artful blocker.’
- ‘They have always taken the mickey out of me for being a blocker, but in that match I hit 22 and I actually played some shots.’
- ‘In the past, it was almost compulsory to have a blocker, someone who would occasionally hit the bad ball but as likely to treat it with disdain in protection of his wicket.’
- 2.1American Football A player whose task it is to block for the ball carrier.
- ‘At any rate, they have to get a passer at some point, as well as a running back and a blocker.’
- ‘The defensive linemen haven't consistently kept the linebackers free of blockers.’
- ‘He is an accomplished blocker and sound player who gets to his man.’
- ‘He was a tremendous rusher, a great receiver, and one of the best blockers ever for a running back.’
- ‘The defense relies heavily on the tackles to jam up blockers and give the linebackers space to make plays.’
- ‘Look at all of the quality running backs, blockers, and wideouts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.