One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of railway signalling which divides the track into sections and allows no train to enter a section that is not completely clear.
- ‘He describes the first electrical equipment as well as the progressive adoption of electro-semaphore signalling and the organisation of the block system.’
- ‘At one time it was controlled by an electric staff block system.’
- ‘An electric staff block system was in use between Melville Jct. and Fraxa Jct.’
- ‘Electricity was also used by the block system of signalling, to keep trains apart.’
- ‘The most used sections now use a variation of the moving block system, which means traffic is defined by trains, not by blocks, so trains can be closer and run more often.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.