One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of railway signalling which divides the track into sections and allows no train to enter a section that is not completely clear.
- ‘The most used sections now use a variation of the moving block system, which means traffic is defined by trains, not by blocks, so trains can be closer and run more often.’
- ‘An electric staff block system was in use between Melville Jct. and Fraxa Jct.’
- ‘At one time it was controlled by an electric staff block system.’
- ‘Electricity was also used by the block system of signalling, to keep trains apart.’
- ‘He describes the first electrical equipment as well as the progressive adoption of electro-semaphore signalling and the organisation of the block system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.