Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of railway signalling which divides the track into sections and allows no train to enter a section that is not completely clear.
- ‘An electric staff block system was in use between Melville Jct. and Fraxa Jct.’
- ‘The most used sections now use a variation of the moving block system, which means traffic is defined by trains, not by blocks, so trains can be closer and run more often.’
- ‘He describes the first electrical equipment as well as the progressive adoption of electro-semaphore signalling and the organisation of the block system.’
- ‘Electricity was also used by the block system of signalling, to keep trains apart.’
- ‘At one time it was controlled by an electric staff block system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.