Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A system of allowing employees the whole of a stated period off work in order to undertake an educational course.
- ‘The latter courses may be taught by day release, block release or distance learning.’
- ‘Ivor is a third year apprentice with an electrical firm in Carlow and has been a block release student at the Institute of Technology.’
- ‘This three year ‘hands-on’ training involves work experience on top commercial farms, day and block release courses, and project work at farm level.’
- ‘He would have to delay his P2 for a year, and have to study in his own time, rather than on block release.’
- ‘A new training allowance payment of £150 per week will apply to farm apprentices and second-year agricultural students while on block release courses.’
- ‘Before the introduction of agencies such as these, Bob trained apprentices on block release courses.’
- ‘It includes work experience on top commercial farms together with day and block release courses and completion of projects such as records/accounts, farm planning etc.’
- ‘The Construction Industry Training Board arranged for me to do a block release Bench Joinery course while working at in Romsey.’
- ‘This will be offered in block release and full-time mode and should be attractive to people wishing to change career into computing.’
- ‘A further two-week block release is envisaged for the end of the second term.’
- ‘I started teaching full-time on July 1, 1975, and quickly began getting students on block release from their firms.’
- ‘The block release course involves her spending a total of 27 days at the school.’
- ‘The award for carpentry and joinery went to a block release student from St Andrews.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.