One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plain capital letters; block capitals.
- ‘It is printed in block letters (when he was in the habit of writing in longhand), including the signature, and the printing shows no emotion.’
- ‘The girls looked over Dodger's shoulder as he drew something that resembled a block letter L.’
- ‘It's printed in a really charming block letter font, as if it were done by hand, with different little flowers amidst the lettering.’
- ‘The beautiful block letters are not easy for him to write.’
- ‘But many were the work of children, including one that bore only one word in huge block letters covering the entire card: ‘WHY?’’
- ‘The title of the work, French for exiled, appears in black block letters on a video monitor.’
- ‘He nods, turned and walked away, revealing ‘SECURITY’ in big block letters across his back.’
- ‘On the back is a slogan in big block letters: ‘AN ARMY OF ONE.’’
- ‘He responded to my Web site solicitation by e-mailing me in huge blue block letters: ‘CALL ME IMMEDIATELY.’’
- ‘She had written her name, in large ballpoint-blue, block letters.’
- ‘Words appear in sentences or fragments in a child's block letters.’
- ‘The second I read this, I rushed to my desk and scribbled two words on a fresh post-it, in big block letters.’
- ‘He asked and forgot my (for him) exotic name so many times that I wrote it in large block letters on a scrap of paper to which he referred at least ten times.’
- ‘The girl who I was working with had a pin with the name ‘Laura’ written on it in white block letters.’
- ‘‘Do I have the word ‘Moron’ imprinted on my forehead in huge block letters?’’
- ‘The minimum letter heights listed below are for sans serif, block letters, sewn in a satin stitch.’
- ‘I also loved that Bingo had written the poems on enormous sheets of paper, probably eleven by seventeen inches, using large block letters.’
- ‘Written in huge block letters on its side was the word ‘FRAGILE’.’
- ‘I helped them with associations of raised letters or block letters that they like to draw.’
- ‘Permanent posters with symbols and ‘No Smoking’ labels in red block letters should be employed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.