One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A storage heater.
- ‘Think of the extra costs eg. new coats, boots, thermal underwear, block heaters that we each individually would have to bear.’
- ‘So I had a 16 block storage/convector heater in the lounge and a 16 block heater in the hall.’
2North American A device for heating the engine block of a vehicle.
- ‘Use a block heater in winter to pre-warm your car engine.’
- ‘If you live in Alaska, does the air conditioning package help you, or if you live in Florida, do you really need the block heater?’
- ‘Most states don't get cold enough to plug in the block heater on your diesel.’
- ‘When it's really cold I plug in the block heater so I can start my excavator in the morning.’
- ‘The block heater is plugged into electricity to keep the coolant circulating so in the morning the engine isn't frozen up.’
- ‘While I'm on the winter kick, it would also be nice if the dealer offered block heaters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.