One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A grant from central government which a local authority can allocate to a wide range of services.
- ‘And so months of debate are spent on the distribution of the block grant allocated by the Treasury - a process which would have taken previous secretaries of state two days.’
- ‘Each higher education institution is allocated a block grant that includes quality related research funding.’
- ‘All tax receipts now go to the UK Treasury and a block grant is handed back to Scotland.’
- ‘Each region would also receive a single block grant from central government, to spend as it pleased.’
- ‘Georgia, which has a pre-kindergarten program for all 4-year-olds, for example, would be a prime candidate for a block grant.’
- ‘One solution would be to provide the project or cooperative subsidies in the form of a block grant, in order to maintain the housing as affordable.’
- ‘Welfare is now a block grant, not an entitlement.’
- ‘She said that council had been given a block grant of $60,000 and also received annual grants of $5,000 from the State Government for maintenance of wharves in their municipality.’
- ‘Money will now be paid directly to the Environment Agency via a block grant, rather than funding going through local authorities.’
- ‘The Borough Council have received a block grant of €200,000, with a grant of €340,000 for carriageway/footpath repairs.’
- ‘He described the allocation of the block grant as ‘one of the most depressing moments for me in this Council chamber.’’
- ‘Further funds have also been allocated by way of discretionary block grant, a special block grant for footpath/carriageway restoration, low cost safety grants and road worker training grants.’
- ‘This block grant generally makes up about a fifth of the overall local authority budgets and the rest must be raised through commercial rates and local service charges.’
- ‘The money comes as a block grant for the year and a report must be sent on how the money has been spent.’
- ‘Republicans originally wanted to combine the two programs into a larger block grant.’
- ‘The changes are being funded by a grant of €30,000 that was allocated by the Council from the annual block grant for traffic management.’
- ‘When the block grant was created six years ago, it came with three goals: moving welfare mothers into jobs, reducing out-of-wedlock births, and promoting marriage.’
- ‘It wants school funding to operate entirely according to the number of pupils attending, rather than a block grant regardless of popularity.’
- ‘Of course, the Executive is tied to the global block grant that Scotland gets.’
- ‘The base grant, the block grant we get for research has never kept up sufficiently for us to provide the kind of infrastructure and flexibility we want…’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.