One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plain capital letters.
capital letter, upper-case letter, block capitalView synonyms
- ‘Mic has printed this next bit in block capitals for emphasis: ‘I DON'T CARE,’ and next to that, an arrow leading up back to his previous observation.’
- ‘What he knows about this legislation we could write in block capitals on a postage stamp.’
- ‘They all wear a brown uniform with their names printed in block capitals on the front.’
- ‘Crammed into eight lines in block capitals, the postcards ask after family and friends and wish a happy birthday to a much-loved brother.’
- ‘It is written in block capital letters on a plain sheet of notepaper, and signed in block capitals rather than handwriting, making it impossible to determine if he actually wrote the note.’
- ‘She made a lasting impression on me - from major decisions like studying Chemistry at university to small things like the way I write my capital E's when doing block capitals.’
- ‘This involves using the tip of your index finger to trace out letters of the alphabet in block capitals on the palm of the person you are communicating with.’
- ‘Their names are proudly written in block capital letters in an arc above their heads.’
- ‘He provided only his name, address and date of birth in block capitals.’
- ‘The article proceeded to spell out the word in block capitals, replacing asterisks and leaving nothing to the imagination.’
- ‘There was no way that I was going to write out some 347 words of waffle in block capitals, so I decided to print out what I'd written and stick it onto the form instead.’
- ‘From my schoolbag I pulled a brand new exercise book, blank apart from my name written in block capitals on the front page.’
- ‘Almost everything would be italicised; many words would be in block capitals; new fonts would have to be invented.’
- ‘When I showed up at the door, the officious receptionist behind the desk made me fill in a registration form in block capitals - name, employer, phone number, all the usual stuff.’
- ‘She writes each routine only once, in very clear block capitals, in pencil so she can erase and rework.’
- ‘I wrote a very polite note - albeit using block capitals - and placed it by the front door, kindly asking if my letters could be returned.’
- ‘The note was written in block capital letters in rough handwriting in red ink.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.