One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lifting mechanism consisting of ropes, a pulley block, and a hook.
system of pulleys, hoisting gear, pulley, hoist, crane, winch, davit, windlass, sheaveView synonyms
- ‘A block and tackle can contain as many pulleys as you like, although at some point the amount of friction in the pulley shafts begins to become a significant source of resistance.’
- ‘There was clearly no time to rig a block and tackle to winch the casualty on board.’
- ‘When thirty feet of ice stood in their way, they used ice anchors, lines, and a block and tackle to pull the 3,000-pound craft out of the water, across the ice and into the next channel.’
- ‘We have bent a number of bows using a steam box and a jig with a block and tackle and pulleys to bend them around a form.’
- ‘Since the Egyptians made no use of block and tackle methods, or cranes, it is usually assumed that wooden and bronze levers were used to manoeuvre the blocks into position.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.