One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A herring cured by salting and light smoking.
- ‘Yarmouth bloaters soon acquired a national reputation and the town remained in the top ten until the later 18th cent.’
- ‘The smokehouse smokes anything that stands still for long enough; pheasant, ham hocks, bloaters, garlic, eel, sausages.’
- ‘You can still get the famous Yarmouth bloater though.’
- ‘Many a person has gone away smiling after eating one of these red herring, bloaters or kippers.’
- ‘Around 1835 a new type of lightly salted, lightly smoked bloater was first made at Yarmouth.’
2USanother term for cisco
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.