Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘pre-tax profits came in at just over US $2 bln’short for billion‘the government will pump more than 450 bln litres of water into the ailing river’
- ‘The plans also include capitalized development costs of 21.9 bln euros.’
- ‘The total investment amount is expected to be in the region of 35 bln yen.’
- ‘Any change in the pattern would have a severe impact on the country, and may disrupt its ability to grow food to feed its 1.3 bln people.’
- ‘The company flew 9.3 bln revenue passenger miles in May 2013, a 4.2 percent increase compared with May 2012.’
- ‘Bank-related cash and deposits ended the month unchanged, at $6.3 bln.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.