One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin rolled pancake filled with cheese or fruit and then fried or baked.
- ‘Ask everyone to bring a dish that reflects his or her family roots and watch what shows up on the table: everything from Alabama BBQ to cheese blintzes, corn pudding to quesadillas.’
- ‘He fantasized that the inedible slop was his mother's blintzes with raspberries and cream.’
- ‘Like everyone noticed your cheese blintzes at the Christmas party.’
- ‘She spoke Yiddish, made blintzes from scratch, and devoutly attended Friday night services every Shabbat.’
- ‘She dreamed of getting married, resigning her job, staying home and decorating a living room and baking bobka and cooking blintzes and kreplach, just like her mother.’
From Yiddish blintse, from Russian blinets ‘little pancake’; compare with blini.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.