One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pancakes made from buckwheat flour and served with sour cream.
- ‘Good wine in the restaurant plus dishes like blinis and seared kangaroo make this a must-see masterpiece.’
- ‘The book is arranged in a helpful way, too, including chapters on breakfast and brunch, bellinis and blinis (party food), dinner for two and cooking for a crowd.’
- ‘Nobody has vodka and blinis any more, they have champagne and caviar instead.’
- ‘Starter: blinis with a choice of many toppings including smoked salmon, marinated herring and aubergine caviar £3.99’
- ‘Order the ‘Black and White Series’ and you'll get Baerii caviar served on blinis or toasts; ‘French Masterpiece’ is duck or goose foie gras served on toast.’
- ‘First came a platter heaping with fresh blini, dripping with butter.’
- ‘Serve caviar on warm blini with optional creme fraiche.’
- ‘A blini batter is usually made with buckwheat flour and yeast, but here's a lighter version using all wheat flour with an added crunch of sweetcorn.’
- ‘Dressed in their peasant outfits, we were supplied with Russian tea, blini and vodka.’
- ‘Unfortunately the blini was buried under a huge, bland, flavourless (save for the small sliver of horseradish here and there), sickly mound of mayonnaise that added nothing to the plate.’
- ‘Locals and tourists alike find it hard to resist the allure of low-priced smoked fish, blinis, and beer served in a friendly, and, to be frank, kitschy atmosphere.’
- ‘It would be a fine accompaniment for that sophisticated Russian nibble, the blinis - a three inch savoury pancake topped with soured cream with chives and shredded smoked salmon.’
- ‘The brunch menu features a version on either muffins or blinis, with spinach, ham, poached egg and hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘Set aside until you have 12 blinis, then divide between 4 plates and serve with lashings of sour cream or butter, and the smoked salmon or caviar of your choice.’
- ‘This dish makes a beautiful entrée when served as a topping for blinis.’
- ‘The blini of ground beef wrapped in a thin crêpe disappeared before I could get a taste of it, so I guess that means it must have been good, right?’
- ‘Sprinkled with lemon juice, served with oven-warmed blinis and crème fraîche, this was a delicious first course.’
- ‘Our only ho-hum selection was the blini with jam, which was nearly indistinguishable from its Bulgarian counterpart - the rolled pancakes called polachinki.’
- ‘He recommends the caviar of the rare albino sturgeon, served preferably on a warm blini with cr fraiche.’
- ‘It's my chance to chat about Russia and the Ukraine and have vodka and blini during blini week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.