Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
attributive Used to express annoyance or for emphasis.‘the blimming website is down tonight’as submodifier ‘it's blimming hot’
damn, damned, blasted, blessed, flaming, precious, confounded, rottenView synonyms
- ‘It's blimming hard, but if you have the determination and a degree of talent you can get through it.’
- ‘It's only blimming Friday!’
- ‘Forgot my blimming trunks, didn't I!’
- ‘Wind is blimming freezing today.’
- ‘It's too blimming hot here in the UK!’
Early 20th century: alteration of blooming.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.