Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Used to express annoyance or for emphasis.‘the blimming website is down tonight’[as submodifier] ‘it's blimming hot’
damn, damned, blasted, blessed, flaming, precious, confounded, rottenView synonyms
- ‘Forgot my blimming trunks, didn't I!’
- ‘Wind is blimming freezing today.’
- ‘It's too blimming hot here in the UK!’
- ‘It's blimming hard, but if you have the determination and a degree of talent you can get through it.’
- ‘It's only blimming Friday!’
Early 20th century: alteration of blooming.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.