One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the eyelid.
- ‘The most common complication of the eye associated with rosacea is an intermittent inflammatory conjunctivitis, with or without blepharitis.’
- ‘Patients with inflammatory eye diseases are at risk for ocular vaccinial diseases, including blepharitis, iritis, and keratitis.’
- ‘According to the author, blepharitis is a commonly seen disease in the ophthalmology department.’
- ‘Although steroids provide quick temporary relief from all the symptoms and signs of blepharitis, they are often best avoided except by an ophthalmologist, who can ensure they are used safely.’
- ‘Regular eyelid hygiene is the most important part of treatment and prevention of blepharitis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek blepharon ‘eyelid’ + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.