One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the eyelid.
- ‘The most common complication of the eye associated with rosacea is an intermittent inflammatory conjunctivitis, with or without blepharitis.’
- ‘Patients with inflammatory eye diseases are at risk for ocular vaccinial diseases, including blepharitis, iritis, and keratitis.’
- ‘Regular eyelid hygiene is the most important part of treatment and prevention of blepharitis.’
- ‘According to the author, blepharitis is a commonly seen disease in the ophthalmology department.’
- ‘Although steroids provide quick temporary relief from all the symptoms and signs of blepharitis, they are often best avoided except by an ophthalmologist, who can ensure they are used safely.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek blepharon ‘eyelid’ + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.