Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The very forefront of technological development.
- ‘The bleeding edge is just too expensive for minimal speed gains.’
- ‘Because the people who can afford to sit on the bleeding edge of technology are so rarely capable of even switching it on.’
- ‘It's official: I am now (at least) several weeks behind the bleeding edge.’
- ‘Letting a VC funded startup shoulder the cost for an expensive bleeding edge technology has historically been a very successful model.’
- ‘Such as it is, I've been complaining to myself, silently, that I no longer have the intuition and drive to sit on the bleeding edge of technology to report back to the masses as though I were nothing more than a glorified news anchor.’
- ‘The bleeding edge people here understand and use RSS.’
- ‘Typically my thoughts about my own voice have preceded the zeitgeist, and I am once again on the bleeding edge.’
- ‘On the bad side, I feel that I'm never going to be at the bleeding edge of anything, save a slippery kitchen knife.’
- ‘Blogging, if nothing else, is the bleeding edge of vanity publishing.’
- ‘Download it to be at the bleeding edge of fashion (if it's not been default-installed with some other application first, without you knowing).’
- ‘Unfortunately, there's nothing much else going on besides a shambolic topple off of the bleeding edge she's inhabited for so long.’
- ‘We're that kind of place, y'know, on the bleeding edge and all that.’
- ‘Believe me, when one is 26 years, single, working on the bleeding edge of technology in a superpower economy, earning somewhere around $100K, who will have the time to think about one's roots?’
- ‘Convenience stores are not exactly on the bleeding edge of information technology, and having lots of locations can really be a problem for keeping track of the figures.’
- ‘Top of the Pops is not, despite what it tries to tell you, a half hour anthology of the bleeding edge of pop music.’
- ‘And to be on the bleeding edge of hip, people instinctively look for ‘the next thing,’ in order to be always seen as a leader, an early adopter, to distinguish oneself from the Joneses.’
- ‘It's also because the real action in media policy is on the bleeding edge of technology, where all the consequences are hypothetical.’
- ‘As quite frankly the fear of being in 2nd place or being less than a top ten tier is what keeps many companies in this industry on the bleeding edge of technology, whether that edge is make belief or for real.’
- ‘Because this is a development box rather than a gaming machine, it's more important that a sound card be well supported with stable drivers than that it hug the bleeding edge of audio technology.’
- ‘When I started, I was at the bleeding edge of communications.’
1980s: on the pattern of leading edge, cutting edge.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.