One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of North American plants, some of which are cultivated for their flowers.
a plant of the daisy family with tall spikes of purple or white flowers (genus Liatris, family Compositae).
a plant of the lily family bearing spikes of white flowers (Chamaelirium luteum, family Liliaceae).Also called devil's bit, unicorn root
- ‘In Missouri, some glades do resemble prairies, with plants that include big and little bluestem, Indian grass, Indian paintbrush, prairie larkspur, purple coneflower, and blazing stars.’
- ‘The blazing star is a bit tricky to identify since many other purple wildflowers look similar.’
- ‘Showing off in autumn are blazing star, bristleleaf chaffhead, goldcrest, redroot, two kinds of native sunflower, woolly sunbonnets, and several species of yellow-eyed grasses.’
- ‘By the time of the first prescribed burn, Heller's blazing star, another declining species within the same habitat, had been listed as threatened.’
- ‘Gayfeather, also called blazing star, is excellent as cut flowers, and in recent years has become a favorite of the florist industry.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.