Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plate that covers an opening in a device or a wall to protect it from moisture or dust.
- ‘Each of the PCI slots are covered with blanking plates and the rest of the case, the side panels are held in place with two thumbscrews.’
- ‘It includes a mounting system for this in the form of a PCI blanking plate with a central hole for the dial to be mounted on.’
- ‘Simply pull the top green lever up, remove a blanking plate, install your cards and then replace the green lever.’
- ‘The PCI insert is simply a blanking plate of plastic, it isn't designed to interface with the system in anyway and is there purely to hold the cooler in place.’
- ‘If you remove a card and don't replace it with another, the hole should be closed with a blanking plate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.