Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A coat made from a blanket or from blanket-like material.
- ‘There are tabard-shaped cardigans, wet-look bomber jackets, conservative dresses and blanket coats, all with strong tailoring and quirky finishes.’
- ‘The wool from which both the blankets and blanket coats are made is a blend of selected varieties from several parts of the world.’
- ‘Point blankets and point blanket coats are still in use today.’
- ‘The snowshoe outfit consisted of a knitted tuque, a blanket coat tied with a long sash around the waist, leggings, and moccasins.’
- ‘The Indians traded beaver pelts for the comfortably fitting tailored style blanket coats and added their own decorations.’
- ‘Created by the designer whose studio is in the rural farmlands of the Pyrenees, the slim blanket coats resonate with a fresh country feeling.’
- ‘His signature wool and mohair blanket coat is typical of his distinctive French style.’
- ‘In 1854, the Indian Agent distributed blanket coats infected with small pox at a peace conference in Taos, New Mexico.’
- ‘The chief had a ride on one of the camels, and looked very picturesque in his white blanket coat.’
- ‘Ranging from heavy parkas and blanket coats to wind breakers and rain coats, dog jackets will protect your little friend from the elements.’
- ‘We also feature unique textile apparel, specifically a large collection of distinctive southwestern blanket coats and jackets.’
- ‘The other soldiers are believed to have had blanket coats of heavy white wool with blue trim.’
- ‘Our blanket coats can come with a leather collar, sleeves and trim.’
- ‘He wore a white blanket coat, a broad hat of felt, moccasins and trousers of deerskin, oranamented along the seams with rows of long fringes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.