One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A severe form of malaria in which blood cells are rapidly destroyed, resulting in dark urine.
- ‘Patients with blackwater fever were not included in the study.’
- ‘The sergeant grew up at Robin Hood's Bay before joining the merchant navy and sailing to West Africa, where a bout of blackwater fever put an end to his maritime career.’
- ‘Diseases such as malaria were endemic, while blackwater fever, dengue fever, dysentery, yaws, and hookworms were a constant scourge.’
- ‘When he suddenly dies from blackwater fever, a potent form of malaria, his devastated friend goes it alone.’
- ‘The daily anti-malarial pill ensured that if one did get malaria, at least it was controllable and did not usually develop into either cerebral malaria or blackwater fever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.