One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A severe form of malaria in which blood cells are rapidly destroyed, resulting in dark urine.
- ‘Patients with blackwater fever were not included in the study.’
- ‘When he suddenly dies from blackwater fever, a potent form of malaria, his devastated friend goes it alone.’
- ‘The daily anti-malarial pill ensured that if one did get malaria, at least it was controllable and did not usually develop into either cerebral malaria or blackwater fever.’
- ‘The sergeant grew up at Robin Hood's Bay before joining the merchant navy and sailing to West Africa, where a bout of blackwater fever put an end to his maritime career.’
- ‘Diseases such as malaria were endemic, while blackwater fever, dengue fever, dysentery, yaws, and hookworms were a constant scourge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.