One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American warbler with a black cap, white cheeks, and white underparts streaked with black.
Dendroica striata, family Parulidae
- ‘Observations of common goldeneye and blackpoll warbler near Baker Lake were farther north than expected.’
- ‘Other passerines, such as blackpoll warblers, American tree sparrows and lapland long-spurs, may be similarly affected.’
- ‘Palm warblers come early in the season, weeks before bay-breasteds and blackpolls, whose appearance indicates that the migration is winding down.’
- ‘A palm warbler is sighted in a patch of willows, which also teems with catbirds, warbling vireos, yellow warblers, and a blackpoll or two.’
- ‘What makes the blackpoll warbler strike out south in the fall after a cold front is probably not fundamentally different from what motivates me to jog down a country road on a warm and sunny day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.