One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is a smaller room that shows Goya's pinturas negras, blackly painted at the end of his life, when the artist was suffering from depression and slowly going mad.’
- ‘There's even a visceral and blackly humorous moment where the actors demonstrate exactly what's going to happen to the planet using a lighter, a peach and a can of air freshener.’
- ‘Of the film, he says, ‘You can either make it more like a horror [film], or you can make it blackly comic.’’
- ‘The majority of left-wing intellectuals, whatever they might say in print, were blackly defeatist in 1940 and again in 1942.’
- ‘I was blackly angry at my boyfriend for not being there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.