One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A plug of sebum in a hair follicle, darkened by oxidation.
- ‘The reality, says the spa manager, is that a regular facial is crucial for deep exfoliation and treatment for lines, dehydration, oily skin, scarring, blocked pores and blackheads.’
- ‘But how do you get someone to see all the love and longing lurking behind pimples, blackheads and misty specs?’
- ‘I could see every single blackhead on his nose, and the imprints where his glasses rested, as well as the flecks of brown in his angry black eyes.’
- ‘Together with dead skin cells, the sebum blocks the hair follicles, which enables the formation of ‘spots’ ranging from blackheads to painful red nodules.’
- ‘Salicylic acid is effective, especially on whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Like benzoyl peroxide, sulfur keeps bacteria in check and works wonders on whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.’
- ‘Even though some people with rosacea had acne as teenagers, the disorder has little to do with the pimples and blackheads that commonly afflict teenagers.’
- ‘If mixed with the secretion of the sebaceous glands, blackheads will come up on the face.’
- ‘The bumps can be blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, or cysts.’
- ‘Acne is the blanket term used for skin irritations, including blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and the deeper cysts that may form on your shoulders, neck, face or other areas.’
- ‘Most people have noninflammatory acne, a relatively mild form with just a few whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Patient education is important since attempts to extrude blackheads or pustules may lead to deeper, potentially scarring lesions.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules and nodules to cysts.’
- ‘You have moderate acne if you have swelling, red bumps, or pustules, along with the whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Sam's fleshy, thin, potato-chip ears, small patches of white hair on his head, blackheads, brown warts and moles make him hard to beat in the ugliest dog contest.’
- ‘The resulting build up of sebum behind the blockage helps produce blackheads and whiteheads.’
- ‘Most teens that get acne have the milder form, called non-inflammatory acne, and get just a few blackheads or whiteheads every now and then.’
- ‘Do not try to remove blackheads or squeeze spots.’
- ‘If the lipid material accumulates in the hair follicle, we have the formation of comedones, or blackheads.’
- ‘Typically, people with acne get blackheads.’
2mass noun An infectious disease of turkeys producing discoloration of the head, caused by a protozoon.
- ‘Turkeys at two Dutch farms were diagnosed with parasite-borne blackhead, but the government was not very concerned because about 10 cases of the disease are reported each year.’
- ‘Turkey farmers in the UK are in a panic over blackhead disease, fearing an outbreak among their flocks after the drug they used to rely on was banned.’
- ‘Ten million turkeys being reared for the festive period are at risk from blackhead, a parasitic liver disease which causes birds to waste away.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.