One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A plug of sebum in a hair follicle, darkened by oxidation.
- ‘If mixed with the secretion of the sebaceous glands, blackheads will come up on the face.’
- ‘Salicylic acid is effective, especially on whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Most people have noninflammatory acne, a relatively mild form with just a few whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Typically, people with acne get blackheads.’
- ‘Even though some people with rosacea had acne as teenagers, the disorder has little to do with the pimples and blackheads that commonly afflict teenagers.’
- ‘The bumps can be blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, or cysts.’
- ‘But how do you get someone to see all the love and longing lurking behind pimples, blackheads and misty specs?’
- ‘Acne is the blanket term used for skin irritations, including blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and the deeper cysts that may form on your shoulders, neck, face or other areas.’
- ‘I could see every single blackhead on his nose, and the imprints where his glasses rested, as well as the flecks of brown in his angry black eyes.’
- ‘You have moderate acne if you have swelling, red bumps, or pustules, along with the whiteheads and blackheads.’
- ‘Together with dead skin cells, the sebum blocks the hair follicles, which enables the formation of ‘spots’ ranging from blackheads to painful red nodules.’
- ‘These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules and nodules to cysts.’
- ‘Do not try to remove blackheads or squeeze spots.’
- ‘If the lipid material accumulates in the hair follicle, we have the formation of comedones, or blackheads.’
- ‘Patient education is important since attempts to extrude blackheads or pustules may lead to deeper, potentially scarring lesions.’
- ‘The resulting build up of sebum behind the blockage helps produce blackheads and whiteheads.’
- ‘Like benzoyl peroxide, sulfur keeps bacteria in check and works wonders on whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.’
- ‘Most teens that get acne have the milder form, called non-inflammatory acne, and get just a few blackheads or whiteheads every now and then.’
- ‘The reality, says the spa manager, is that a regular facial is crucial for deep exfoliation and treatment for lines, dehydration, oily skin, scarring, blocked pores and blackheads.’
- ‘Sam's fleshy, thin, potato-chip ears, small patches of white hair on his head, blackheads, brown warts and moles make him hard to beat in the ugliest dog contest.’
2mass noun An infectious disease of turkeys producing discoloration of the head, caused by a protozoon.
- ‘Ten million turkeys being reared for the festive period are at risk from blackhead, a parasitic liver disease which causes birds to waste away.’
- ‘Turkeys at two Dutch farms were diagnosed with parasite-borne blackhead, but the government was not very concerned because about 10 cases of the disease are reported each year.’
- ‘Turkey farmers in the UK are in a panic over blackhead disease, fearing an outbreak among their flocks after the drug they used to rely on was banned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.