Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of a number of dark-coloured fish.
- ‘Much of our traditional winter run of bream, tailor and blackfish have gone and we wait for the good whiting and flathead of the summer months.’
- ‘Hopefully next week I will have many good reports of tailor and bream, maybe even blackfish, as the season is about to begin in earnest.’
- ‘Many people criticize the eating qualities of tailor and blackfish but if treated the same way as dart, they are top table fish.’
- ‘He asked his mom, who kindly informed us that it would be blackfish, a fairly popular fish in many parts of Asia.’
- ‘Next in order of estimation come two somewhat smaller species, both of the genus Actinopyga: the blackfish and the deep-water redfish.’
2another term for pilot whale
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.