One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a number of dark-coloured fish.
another term for galjoen
another term for luderick
a salmon just after spawning.
('river blackfish') a large fish of Australian rivers (Gadopsis marmoratus, family Gadopsidae).
('Alaska blackfish') a small fish occurring along the Arctic coasts of Alaska and Siberia, noted for its ability to withstand freezing (Dallia pectoralis, family Umbridae).
an open-ocean fish related to the perches (genera Centrolophus and Schedophilus, family Centrolophidae), in particular the large and widespread C. niger.
- ‘Much of our traditional winter run of bream, tailor and blackfish have gone and we wait for the good whiting and flathead of the summer months.’
- ‘He asked his mom, who kindly informed us that it would be blackfish, a fairly popular fish in many parts of Asia.’
- ‘Hopefully next week I will have many good reports of tailor and bream, maybe even blackfish, as the season is about to begin in earnest.’
- ‘Next in order of estimation come two somewhat smaller species, both of the genus Actinopyga: the blackfish and the deep-water redfish.’
- ‘Many people criticize the eating qualities of tailor and blackfish but if treated the same way as dart, they are top table fish.’
2another term for pilot whale
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.