One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a number of dark-coloured fish.
another term for galjoen
an open-ocean fish related to the perches (genera Centrolophus and Schedophilus, family Centrolophidae), in particular the large and widespread C. niger.
('Alaska blackfish') a small fish occurring along the Arctic coasts of Alaska and Siberia, noted for its ability to withstand freezing (Dallia pectoralis, family Umbridae).
a salmon just after spawning.
another term for luderick
('river blackfish') a large fish of Australian rivers (Gadopsis marmoratus, family Gadopsidae).
- ‘Next in order of estimation come two somewhat smaller species, both of the genus Actinopyga: the blackfish and the deep-water redfish.’
- ‘Much of our traditional winter run of bream, tailor and blackfish have gone and we wait for the good whiting and flathead of the summer months.’
- ‘Hopefully next week I will have many good reports of tailor and bream, maybe even blackfish, as the season is about to begin in earnest.’
- ‘Many people criticize the eating qualities of tailor and blackfish but if treated the same way as dart, they are top table fish.’
- ‘He asked his mom, who kindly informed us that it would be blackfish, a fairly popular fish in many parts of Asia.’
2another term for pilot whale
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.